Monday, July 25, 2011

Summer So Far...

I have to start by pointing out that we have been setting records in Oklahoma for consecutive days over 100 degrees and without rain. It has been nutso hot so we have been inside or at the pool.

Here's a little bit of what we've been up to now that we have stopped all the traveling...

Spelling Bees - my mom did spelling with the kids constantly while she was here

My mom would line them on the couch and pull up each kid's grade appropriate spelling word list and they would take turns. She made all sorts of rules and they just loved it. They used the remote as a microphone.

Here is Pippi after spelling "PIP" correctly...

Who knew spelling bees could occupy my children for so long? I still have horrible memories about getting out in the first round of the all school spelling bee that I had worked so hard to qualify for. Don't ask me about it. I might cry. And the English language is stupid anyways.

Finding baby bunnies in our back yard...

I totally photo shopped those stains on to the carpet so none of you would feel badly about your carpet. Ha. Seriously - if you'd like to feel better about your carpet just come for a visit.
We got the babies back with their momma and I've seen them all over the neighborhood now that they are bigger. Super cute!

4th of July... celebrating with our friends the Beltz and the Wrays...


 Playing a game where they had to race to empty the toilet paper roll without letting any t.p. touch the ground...



Dressing up like cows to get free food at Chick-fil-a...




Making shadows on the back fence...


Getting hand me down rain boots that you want to wear every day...

 Pretending to be a boy scout...
 Lots of playing piano (and yet no one knows how to play - donations to get my kids piano lessons so that I don't gouge my ears out with a fork are being accepted. And anyone who wants to go to my mom's house and play Chopsticks and Heart and Soul on a piano until she wants to jump off a bridge - I think that would be fitting retribution)...

Going to the library...

 ...and getting prizes. I'm telling you - the summer reading program has lit a fire under my kids. They are reading like crazy cakes and that works very well with this hot weather.

And by doing all that reading they earn things like coupons for free bowling...

and coupons for free sundaes...

So - we've had good times trying to beat the heat. Inside the house we've been trying to focus on being thankful and showing honor to one another.
I must admit that I miss the schedule of our school year but am trying to make the most of footloose and fancy free. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment